Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Obstacles

Throughout the internship I faced a few tough obstacles. One was figuring out how much analysis the articles I write require. While, like every writer, I would like unrestricted space this is physically impossible. I have therefore had to figure out how to fit all the important points in one piece in a way that is both comprehensive and understandable. As the internship progressed I was able to learn how to use the available space and eliminate information which initially seemed useful. My colleagues also helped me to this end.


The other problem that I faced was compiling a very large amount and rather unfamiliar data into as fewer but as detailed files as possible. Not knowing the relationship between different sets of data made this task difficult in the beginning. This became easier as I learned more about the industry and was thus able to recognize what data was related to each other. Though initially the process seemed tiring I learned a lot more than I could have imagined by doing this, such as the history of the industry and changing perspectives of the people involved in it. Also there was a point in the beginning of this process where the data seemed overwhelming and I thought perhaps I wouldn't be able to complete it. Now however, knowing what it was about, the task seems simpler.

As a result of the two points above one of the most satisfying parts of the job so far has been writing in combination with understanding the data that I am using. This is a useful method because it is helping me sharpen my analytical skills by gaining insight while writing rather than writing after understanding. 

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting, and I wish you luck. But what kind of articles are you writing? I don't know what you mean. Is it journalism or PR or...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Max. The articles I was working on were essentially reports on and analysis of data the company had accumulated for years. For instance how the banks' involvement in the shipping sector changed along time. I used the available data and tried to give explanations based on various other factors like the state of the general economy at that time, other developments going on in banks at the same time, the state of the shipping industry etc. This is just an example to give you an idea.

    ReplyDelete