Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sporting Kansas City Internship - Changing Perspectives


I remember my first day. I was just so intimated by everything. All of the sales representatives were so good at their jobs. They were always on the phones, frantically working on computers, creating a buzzing environment for selling tickets. I remember thinking, "Man, do they ever have fun, or is it all work?" Now, I can say that my perspective has changed. Yes, everyone continues to work hard in making sales all day at the office.

But there is also time for fun. The staff will take breaks for eating competitions, lunch outings, and watching soccer on TV. During the World Cup, they had their own sales contest. That was fun to watch and be a part of. Lots of times, people yell out jokes or something random just to make everyone laugh. While it is still evident that everyone is there to work hard and represent Sporting KC at a professional level, it is also true that they all love their jobs and have fun with it.

That being said, being exposed to the business of soccer has been a fantastic experience for me. I am continuing to work on my sales project for our October 10th game against Chicago: Indian Heritage Night. Several of the Kansas City Indian organizations have shown strong interest in coming out to the game. I have already sold 40 tickets (20 to KU's Indian dance team, 20 to the India Association of Kansas City). My goal is to sell 150, and I think I have a solid chance of doing this.

Just like the staff does, I am trying to have fun while working on my project. When I am in contact with the Indian organizations, I am not only trying to sell them tickets. I want to become their friend and keep the relationship going beyond soccer. I still need to practice how to make good phone calls, but that is something that will improve with practice.

On Wednesday, we are hosting Manchester City, the best soccer team in England. That will be a once in a lifetime experience for me!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that your work environment is so laid back and fun but I can see how that could be intimidating. I also was so impressed with all my coworkers at the beginning of my internship because they're so great at their jobs. Your actual project sounds so cool and it seems like such a great experience!

    ReplyDelete