Monday, July 21, 2014

Looking Back/Overall Insight

I was definitely surprised to learn that so many of the skills I acquired from the University of Michigan are applicable to the working environment. When learning in a lecture or in the classroom it was often difficult for me to imagine ever actually applying this knowledge to the real world. Not only was I expected to be proficient in various Microsoft programs but also the SPSS computer software that I learned at school. I was shocked that this program existed outside of my communications lab. My coworkers were thrilled that they did not have to teach me how to use this program for I already knew how to operate it very well. I also had to learn how to use the program AdTracker very quickly and noticed that many of the skills that I picked up from SPSS transferred over into learning this program too.

All of my practice working in group projects and playing the various roles from the main leader to a general member was very useful for work. I had experience with what group dynamics are most ideal and was able to easily adapt to the different appropriate roles that I should be playing throughout my internship. Another skill that was very useful to know was public speaking. After giving presentations to lectures, I was not too intimidated to present my ideas to about 10 colleagues. Although it was still nerve-racking, my previous experiences had taught me to cope with these fears and continue to successfully present.  All of this prior knowledge and experience made the transition into work much faster and more comfortable. Throughout this internship I realized just how much the University of Michigan has prepared me for work.

2 comments:

  1. Can't believe you actually used SPSS! I didn't think that it would ever appear in the real world, but happy to know that we are learning something useful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you had the chance to use SPSS outside of a classroom. Sometimes I think what I am doing during my class labs would never really benefit me in the work world, but it is so awesome to hear that you did use it. I am sure your coworkers were surprised and happy that you're on their team.

    ReplyDelete