Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Changing Perspective


My time at Living Yoga has been really great. I enjoy working for an organization that does so much for others and having great coworkers makes each day enjoyable. I have noticed that the overall work ethic in Portland is very laid back. After working in a prestigious law firm last summer, I was not prepared for such a chill work environment here. My co-workers leave early pretty much everyday and a significant portion of the day is spent laughing and goofing around or playing with the extra yoga mats in the office. Although there are many distractions, I am still able to finish my daily tasks. I actually find that having such an easygoing atmosphere has inspired me to be more efficient because I enjoy the people I am working with. Also, seeing everyone leave early motivates me to want to finish my work that much faster.

I have made an effort to get more involved with Living Yoga. I work in the office, I'm a volunteer teacher, and I attend community events in support of the organization. All of these different experiences have been very rewarding and enjoyable.
Yoga Rocks The Park Community Event


This experience has really opened my eyes to the world of nonprofit organizations because Living Yoga also shares an office with the Nonprofit Association of Oregon, which I have started working for as well. Between these two amazing organizations, I have had so many different projects and learning experiences. Both organizations have made significant efforts to make me feel like a valuable part of their team and I am very grateful.
Living Yoga Office

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're having a great summer! Nonprofit organizations are great to get involved with. I also feel that it is sometimes hard to motivate myself when I am working in a laid-back atmosphere, but it sounds like you more than conquered this issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you are taking advantage of your internship by getting a taste of all the different aspects of the organization in office, school, and community event settings. I think working in a more laid-back environment as compared to your last summer internship which was less so provides you a nice opportunity to decide which type of work setting you enjoy more and can see yourself in long-term.

    ReplyDelete