Saturday, July 19, 2014

4. Changing Perspectives

I entered my internship at Atlantic Records with an interest in the music industry. I have looked at this summer as a chance to decide if this is a field I'd like to pursue a career in after school. Through the first few weeks of the summer, the office was a bit slow and the atmosphere of the office was very relaxed. As work has picked up, I have seen the more chaotic side of the business when there are many album releases, music festivals, and artist tours going on at the same time. With a lot going on in the office, I have seen how exciting work at a label can be. But also, with the ongoing transition to digital music, the revenue that labels bring in is not what it used to be.

I still have a passion in the music industry, but my perspective has changed in relation to what type of career I'd like to have related to music. Talking to coworkers and other interns, I have gathered some alternative paths outside of working at a label. For me, the most appealing path at the moment is to pursue a law degree and enter the industry with a legal background. People don't buy albums like they used to and its hard to say how successful record labels will be in the future. Going to law school could give me more opportunities within and outside of the music industry.

I certainly have enjoyed my time working at a label this summer but I'm not sure if a job at a label is in my future. From management companies to publishers to music law firms, there are various other career paths in music and I will continue to explore these options. Another internship next summer may hopefully narrow my focus even more so.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Zach! Sounds like you have had a neat experience. Not only have you seen the excitement of the music industry, but you are also learning if it is the best fit for you. To tell you the truth, I am in the same exact boat. My internship this summer was in the sports industry. While everything has been awesome, I am not 100% certain that it is for me. I also want to go to law school and get that legal education, because it will be more marketable and versatile for me. How will law school help you in the music industry? Good luck with the rest of the internship!

    ReplyDelete