Tuesday, July 8, 2014

WEEK 3: Overcoming Obstacles


I was assigned the task of designing a website application which is something I had never done before. I had to create a functional website by Friday to show my manager so that I could move on to the next phase of my project. At first designing a website from scratch seemed like a daunting task especially since I had no idea where to start. I started doing a bit of research on web development and saw a few tutorials on YouTube. I quickly learned that I needed to be proficient in two programming languages namely HTML and C# both of which I had no prior knowledge of. So I started off by teaching myself these two languages and started writing some simple programs in these languages just so that I get comfortable with them. I then was able to begin designing the website. At first I encountered quite a few problems and my program crashed many times along the way, which left me feeling quite frustrated and unsure of whether I would be able to meet my deadline. My manager reassured me by providing a few tips and letting me know that it was more important I learn than meet the deadline, which took some pressure off. However, I stayed up late on Thursday night and managed to complete the finished website which took a username and password and opened up to three different pages. After completing this task I felt like it was the most I had learned in a week ever. I went from not knowing the programming languages required to make a website to making my first functional website.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making a website! That must have been a stressful week but it sounds like you really pulled through, good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such an incredible opportunity. I am glad you were able to work through this challenge and form it into something you worked hard at and are proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is incredible that you were able to reach yourself so much and successfully create a website! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete