Thursday, July 17, 2014

Prepare, Prepare, Prepare

Although my perspectives on the Big Ten Network remain almost the same since the first day I stepped into the office...one thing I do notice is that the female population in the production department is quite scarce, something I didn't notice as much before.  Despite this observation, I still plan on pursuing a career in sports.

As a female intern in a male dominated department, I feel the need to make sure my work is perfect...especially during this week of work.  This week the focus is on Big Ten Media Day...one of the biggest days of the summer.  This is a day where we interview standout Big Ten football coaches and players all day long...a true marathon of a day.

I am assigned both Michigan players attending media day: Jake Ryan and Devin Gardner.  In addition to these two players I have to interview Coach Brady Hoke.  I spend all week researching these players to make sure my questions are perfect to show to my boss.  Once I sit down with him to go over my questions, he tells me the importance of this prep work.  He tells me media day is so huge for the Big Ten Network, so good questions backed my plenty of research is key! 

He hands back my questions with tons of edits, but likes my questions overall.  He tells me that all I need is to word my questions a bit differently.  So although my perspective on the network hasn't changed too much since the first day I stepped in the office, my perspective has changed when it comes to research and television.  Before I stepped into the office, of course I do my own research at school for my own television shows, but it doesn't play as huge a role as it does in the real world at the Big Ten Network.  This perspective change will be crucial when I enter the T.V. world next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment