Sunday, July 13, 2014

Changing Perspectives


As the Marketing and Social Media Intern at a production company, I have discovered many things about the culture and myself. First, I learned that I enjoy working on marketing projects compared to managing social media platforms. This is because I can use the knowledge I have gained from my psychology major and apply it to projects I am working on such as deciding how to promote our new mobile app or how to increase open rates on the company’s weekly emails to their clients. I also learned from my internship that I enjoy being the middleman between the marketing and creative department. For example, last week I was able to use my creative mind and design a new business card on Photoshop in order to help the company stand out on paper. 
Before this summer, I have always seen myself working for a big company but I realized that I appreciate working for a smaller company because I have received more responsibility, hands-on-experiences, and was able to meet and network with employers higher up in the hierarchy. I hope that by the end of my internship, I will have a better understanding on what characteristics I look for in a company when I start applying for jobs.   

2 comments:

  1. I think it's so cool to be able to apply your major into your projects. My internship has led me to do the same and its nice to have that background when tackling on a task. I also completely agree with you on working for a smaller company as I work for a startup company this summer and assume a great deal of responsibility and communication with my boss. I think you gained a great perspective on what you want in the future and I think you'll be very successful working for a smaller company yet still connecting it to the big picture and goals. Good luck with the rest of your summer and I hope there is more to come from your Psychology background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alana, I think it is awesome that you're able to apply your educational experience to your internship. That's always something I strive to do, but at times, it's a struggle to find the perfect job where I am able to do that. Shout out to you for finding such a neat opportunity like this.

    Also, I think you should still consider the benefits of working for a bigger company. You're surrounded by a plethora of people, ideas, and projects. Those can help you learn so much. Also, because larger companies tend to move slowly, compared to a start-up, you have more time to learn and reflect on your experience. However, I think it is good that you're getting this experience and starting to think about what is right for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete