Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Week 2: Getting to know your colleagues

My team at work is composed of a group of strong and intelligent women. However, my supervisor serves as the most significant mentor for me. She is only about 8 years older than me and has truly taken me under her wing. From the very first day on the job, she has taken extra steps to make sure that I understand as much as possible. Instead of merely assigning me a task, she explains why I am working on a given project. This has helped me be more motivated and develop a more well-rounded perspective on the business. I think a quality that I admire most about my supervisor is how much she cares. While most people treat their job as merely a duty, time and time again, she has gone the extra mile to make sure that she does the very best job she can. As her intern, witnessing this sort of passion has influenced my own actions. I have found myself more detail-oriented and I have found that I am more willing to go the extra mile, as well. My supervisor has truly led by example and I think that her passion has influenced other team members to do their very best, as well.

            Similarly, a difficulty I had at my last internship was finding a reason to really care about the quality of my work. Not to say that I didn’t care, but rather, taking pride in my work and not just working to complete the assignment. My supervisor has gone above and beyond her own job and duties. She pushes the limits and does more than she is asked or even expected. This type of role model inspires me on a daily basis to put my best foot forward and follow suit. I hope that I can harness her passion in my internship and future jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment