Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Changing Perspectives


My perspective on my internship has definitely changed since my very first blog post. I think that when I started my internship I had a lot of expectations about what it was going to be like. Working for a film PR company, I expected that it would be a little more glamorous. Obviously I knew that I would be doing classic intern/assistant jobs, but it was a little difficult at first to see my coworkers participating in the more “glamorous” aspects of the job. For instance, tonight I will be working a premiere for one of the films we are doing and while my coworkers are working the red carpet, I will be working inside the theater. I know that this will be a great learning experience and I will get a lot out of it, I just think that, initially, I had expected that I would be participating in the more talent-oriented part. However, what I have come to understand through this changing perspective is that the exciting part of the job comes with time. I think I had always known this to be true, but when you’re in the moment it really becomes apparent. My boss didn’t get to work the red carpet the very first day on the job and now it seems ridiculous to me that I ever had that expectation. Therefore, I have begun to change my perspective on each task I have and try to really see what I can learn from every job I am assigned.

3 comments:

  1. I can completely understand where you're coming from on expecting more of the glamour side, but I am glad you went through this learning experience. It is best to concentrate on learning from your experience and with that comes opportunities for your expectations to become a reality. I still think its cool you get to be in the theater and you will be able to offer someone great advice when your on the red carpet to always aim at learning and working hard rather than having high expectations and feeling out of place. Wish you the best of luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roni,

    I totally see where you are coming from. Newspapers are kind of the same way -- sometimes you have to cover the least glamorous things for a while in order to really do some work that you are passionate about. I'm glad that you were positive enough to see a bright side and learn from the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also had some event experience with the PR firm at which I've been interning. Both interns and employees worked in similar parts of the venue, so I felt included which was great! I've found that working events really allows one to update their perspectives on the industry.

    ReplyDelete