Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Week 5: Looking Back / Overall Insights - Pacers Sports and Entertainment

As my final week with the Pacers is approaching, I can't help  but think back at what an amazing experience it has been. I have met some amazing people who are eager to teach me everything there is to know about the business. No matter how busy my coworker have been, they have never shown any form of anger or annoyance when they have to pause what they are doing to teach me something or when I am on their tails shadowing them while they're working the big events. As I have said before, I have been lucky enough to experience the happenings in other departments and assess whether I could see myself doing their jobs in the future. I have shadowed the promotions department, the game operations team, the group sales team and many more. Shadowing all of these departments has allowed me to find interest or complete cross out future career paths. It has also given me more insight into the entire operation at Pacers Sports and Entertainment, which will help me on future job interviews and careers. I have a great appreciation for my bosses because they understand that, as an intern, my job entails looking at a lot of spreadsheets and doing a lot of research. For this reason, they continually tell my co-workers to take me on meeting so I could to get out of the office a little and have a more complete intern experience.
Looking at my education, I wish there were classes at U of M to teach me basic life obstacles such as how to manage money, how to stay organized, and how to remain on top of all the tasks I have been assigned. Despite this, I have learned a lot of things through my Psychology classes that have helped me with my job in the Corporate Ticket Sales Department. This job is based on relationships you build with your client and how to pitch a ticket package that would work for them, but would also bring in some money for the company. I learned in my social psychology classes how to approach a potential customer and how to assess what would appeal to them. In addition, I  have learned what to say and when to say it to maximize the chances of them buying a product.
Overall, I am proud to say that I attend the University of Michigan. Because I am working in Indiana, basically all of the other interns go to schools in Indiana, specifically IU. So I believe I have brought some valuable insight into different aspects of my job, this can be attributable to my being a U of M student.  I am extremely grateful for this experience and it is bittersweet that in two weeks I will be saying goodbye to all of these amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment