Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blog #5: Looking Back/Overall Insight: Maddie Fasel


Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH Magazine
The University of Michigan has prepared me for my internship at the Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH Magazine tremendously. A lot of the other interns here at SPLASH are from Big 10 schools as well, so we were all able to share stories from freshman year, as well as interact together and form close friendships. Coming from a school as big as Michigan, it is apparent that class sizes can be as large as 300+ people, so at times it is hard to find time to get to know the instructor. I believe that The University of Michigan has taught me to be assertive in getting to know all of my instructors, whether that be in a large lecture hall, or in a discussion, I find myself taking time to go to office hours so that I can be recognized among the thousands of other students they see regularly. Because of that, I have not only become a very assertive person at the University, but at work as well. I have learned to not be afraid to ask for help, or go up to the staff if I have a question—something the University of Michigan has taught me to do.
To continue, throughout freshman year I was involved in many Communications classes. There I learned the value of media through communication methods and devices. SPLASH is very involved in social media, whether that be Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. In Communications classes we learned how to attract an audience, that is get someone to pay attention to what you are trying to say. Here at SPLASH, every Friday we call it “social media day”. That means, because the magazine goes to print on Thursday, Friday all of the interns work together to post Tweets, Facebook posts, etc. for upcoming days about what is featured in the issue. From Comm. classes at The University of Michigan, I have learned how media works in terms of an audience—something that is very helpful on my Fridays at work!
Check out our main page: http://splash.suntimes.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/suntimessplash
Twitter: @Suntimes_Splash

1 comment:

  1. I have also found that the larger classes at U of M help teach us to voice our thoughts. I'm glad that our school has prepared you for your internship as it has prepared me for mine as well.

    ReplyDelete