Thursday, July 24, 2014

Week 2: Getting to Know Your Colleagues


I am the only intern on my team and have the opportunity to learn from 4 employees. My boss, David Bieber, is extremely nice and welcoming. I immediately felt comfortable and all of my employers told me not to be afraid to ask questions and take challenges. My work environment is very intimate. I work mostly with Michael, who has been assigning different macroeconomic and investment topics to me each day. I must research the topic, take notes and make sure I completely understand it in the context of current news. At the end of each day, Michael and I meet and I must explain the topic to him without looking at my notes. Anna, David’s secretary is extremely friendly and helpful. I perform tasks for her throughout the day, such as documenting syndicate. Jonathan is a new employee at Morgan Stanley and has just finished taking his Series 7 and Series 66. Since he is my brother-in-law, I feel very comfortable asking him questions or for help with anything.  

            Since there are only three interns on my floor, I do not have much contact with other interns. However, since I am the only intern on my team, I am forced to take on more responsibility and am able to get more alone time with my bosses to learn the business and experience first-hand what they do.

            If I wanted to follow in the career path of my boss, David, I would have to take many business classes at school, completely understand the world and US economy, and comprehend how current events effect the investment banking industry. In order to become proficient in anything, one must be dedicated to learning and work hard. By watching my bosses create asset allocation models based on each individual client’s time horizon, financial goals and risk tolerance, I am able to grasp how they invest their clients’ money. Also, by watching trades, I can become more familiar with the responsibilities of my bosses.

No comments:

Post a Comment