Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Blog 1: Work Place Observations

            I have never had a real job or internship before in an office setting. Therefore the culture of this workplace is completely new, and fascinating to me. The office is extraordinarily quiet, and I am the only intern. I sit in a cubicle besides the assistants of those in the offices. For the most part, everyone besides me in cubicles works directly under someone, and therefore there is a clear hierarchy within the office. There is common courtesy throughout the office that I have began to pick up on, such as office doors being closed means there is a conference call in session, and you are not to bother the boss. Or that phone calls must be answered in a whispering voice. I also found the diversity of the office extremely interesting. Even though the Human Resources field is made up of both men and woman, in this particular company, woman make up a majority of the office. Practically 80% of the employees in the office are female.




            Also, going into this internship I was told to dress business casual. I took it upon myself to research what exactly business casual was, and prepare myself to dress this way in the office. However, since I have been going to work I have noticed that because it is the summer, most people are dressed down from business casual, and dressed extremely casual. That has made it a lot more comfortable for me to both commute and in the office.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie! You'll definitely encounter some of what you may find "unusual" norms in the office, but every office is just like that. You seem to be catching onto the norms quickly, and soon they will become automatic for you. Best of luck with figuring everything out.

    ReplyDelete