Tuesday, July 15, 2014

ICM blog post #5

Going to school at the University of Michigan has definitely prepared me for my internship at ICM. Coming to Michigan from my small, private all girls high school, I was immediately forced to be much more of an independent thinker and student than I had been before. Large classes at Michigan taught me that nobody was going to hold my hand through my education process, and it was up to me how much I wanted to get out of it, just like my time at ICM. Because ICM is such a busy environment, no employee had time to walk me through everything, so it was up to me to learn on my own through asking questions and picking up things from my interactions with the company. I believe my ability to communicate effectively, as well as the capacity to learn new things quickly are also thanks to Michigan, where I was taught to think critically and creatively, qualities that greatly enhanced my ICM experience. Being able to meet goals and manage time effectively was also especially helpful at ICM, because so many of the projects I worked on were time sensitive. Overall, I was surprised by how independent I was expected to be at my internship, which is why I took it upon myself to go to different departments of the company, like the branding department, and ask if they needed any help, which they often did. I believe that my confidence in being independent stems largely from my experience at Michigan, and I am very grateful to that!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Catherine,
    After reading through your latest blog, I couldn't help but notice such similarities. Right away, I was thrown straight into the fire without a clue of what to do essentially. My internship being my first real desk job, I was quite unsure of what to expect. However, just like you, I find myself surprised as to what I could really accomplish without much guidance or direction. Congrats on your success so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine- Congrats on finishing your internship and being able to go out on your own to look for work.

    ReplyDelete