Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles at Living Yoga

Recently for my internship I started attending some of the yoga classes we offer to patients in drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers. The purpose of my visits is to simply observe and procure feedback or other material that I can use for the company’s blog series. However, last week when I was at DePaul Treatment Center, the yoga instructor did not show up. I looked around the room, watching fifteen men sitting on their yoga mats staring back at me.  One asked “Can’t you just teach us?” I asked their counselor (thinking he would say no) and surprisingly got the approval.

There I was, in a room alone with fifteen older men, some were old enough to be my dad. I took a couple deep breaths and before I knew it I was teaching a yoga class for the very first time. After class one man told me “Thanks, you helped me get through my day.” That alone made the experience worth it, knowing that despite my nerves (and lack of credentials) I made an impact on at least one person.


After the class I immediately called my boss and told him what happened. He was thrilled! He scheduled me to teach more classes and has encouraged me to write blogs about my own teaching experiences. My boss and co-workers have been so supportive, which has really inspired me to be more involved in the other aspects of the Living Yoga organization. Due to my progress at work my boss referred me  to fill a position at the Nonprofit Association of Oregon (NAO), which is one of our office neighbors. Living Yoga and NAO have decided to share me for the remainder of the summer. I am so pleased to now be a part of two great organizations that do so much for the communities of Oregon.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's very impressive! Sounds like a great internship and something that you're really able to contribute to. Good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete