Tuesday, June 17, 2014

1. Environment and First Impressions at Atlantic Records

The atmosphere of the office is what I had hoped it would be. Everybody is dressed casually, relatively young, and plays music in their cubicles (...only in the music industry). I share a cubicle with the one other radio promotions intern. It's nice not to be the only intern in my dept. because that is how some of the other labels are now. The office walls near my cubicle are covered in posters of some of the artists on Atlantic's roster.

I got to see my first performance at the office when UK singer Paolo Nutini came in. Paolo and his band played a few songs for my coworkers and I, which was incredible.

In the radio promotions department, there are several hit singles that the label works especially hard on getting radio play in markets across the country. In the mornings I configure reports for the promotions execs that are interested in numbers of spins, etc. on currently about a dozen songs such as Ed Sheeran's "Sing" and Coldplay's "A Sky Full of Stars."

Along with market reports, my daily tasks include working with promotional items and events, managing the phones, and a lot of printing and scanning. If ever the work gets dull, hearing some Kanye from the speakers a few cubicles down always helps.


1 comment:

  1. That sounds very cool, but doesn't playing music get in the way of doing work? Isn't it distracting?

    ReplyDelete