Sunday, June 22, 2014

Week 3: Overcoming Obstacles


I have now been working at Martha Stewart for three weeks and finally feel very settled. Technically, I am the style intern, but the beauty intern only started working this past Monday, so I have been the beauty intern as well. I am lucky enough that my boss has an assistant who taught me how to do everything, but the there was no beauty assistant to teach the new intern how to get around. It was really crazy because after only working for two weeks prior, myself, I taught the new intern how to do everything. I taught her how to make calls and print and copy things and where everything was and how to use the messenger service, etc. It was really fun feeling like I actually worked there to the point where I was able to show someone else how to fulfill her position.

There are quite a few obstacles that I’ve faced since working at the magazine, but I think I have done a pretty good job of handling them. Again, I am technically the style intern, however, at this point, I have probably done more as the beauty intern. So, my main obstacle is that I have a lot of different jobs given to me from a lot of different people who do not coordinate my schedule with each other. I keep a calendar on my computer and a thousand post-its everywhere to stay organized. I also do my work on a “first come, first serve” basis. If one of my bosses asks me to do something when I am in the middle of something for another boss, I do not overwhelm myself and just tell her I will get to it as soon as I am finished. All of my superiors are extremely kind and understanding and I think respect me more for being realistic about what they are asking of me, rather than taking too much on all at once.

2 comments:

  1. Haley, even though you have been faced with a few obstacles, I think it's really great that you're keeping yourself organized with a calendar and schedule. Remember not to get overwhelmed when there's too much on your plate at once. I hope the amount of work you continue to receive can balance itself out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley, your ability to overcome such difficult obstacles is inspiring! I can't imagine teaching someone else all that I have learned right away. Your ways of staying organized seem very efficient. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete