Monday, June 16, 2014

My First Week at SoulCycle

Even though I am posting this a little late because of some computer complications, I still remember how nervous and excited I was on my first day of work two weeks ago. When I first walked into the modern white office in the West Village, I was definitely unsure of what I would be facing in the next few weeks. I have been a dedicated rider for the past four years, but actually working in the SoulCycle office and being on the back-end of the system would be a completely different, and intimidating experience.


However, after meeting my boss and the other women in my office I realized that the next month and a half would be an amazing experience full of in-depth opportunities and a  new skills. My job title is "Digital Media Intern" and my boss, Abby is the Social Media Coordinator. She is in charge of the Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, SoundCloud and Facebook aspects of the company. In essence, these different social media outlets have a huge influence on our company reputation and promotion. When someone has a complaint, they often times reach out to us over Twitter or Facebook. Being the only person to handle so many different social media sites is very difficult and time consuming. Thus, as soon as I walked in, I was given numerous tasks that I would never have had the experience to take on at a larger company.


At SoulCycle every single department is connected in some way. The retail is constantly contacting us to promote the new line, the programming looks to us to post about the theme rides and influence riders to go to certain instructors and we always look to the graphic designer  when we need a well-developed Instagram post or cover photo. There is also a full marketing staff who we communicate with on a daily basis to find out the angle of promotion for the week, or upcoming events that they want to share with the digital SoulCycle community. At the head of it all are two women, Elizabeth and Julie, who have the final say in what goes through and what we present to our riders.


On the other hand, my office is extremely casual. Because we are connected to a studio, often times employees will run to classes during the day, and come in dressed in their workout attire. There is no "dress code", although many employees dress nicely to present themselves as what we are (a boutique brand) at meetings.


Overall, my first week on the job was extremely fulfilling and exciting. I was given a lot of responsibility and found that the welcoming community I had been apart of as a rider for the past four years matched the one inside the SoulCycle office.

6 comments:

  1. Your internship sounds really exciting! I am also working with social media at an athletic related company so I am looking forward to hearing more about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you have been given responsibility and found yourself in a comfortable atmosphere. I continue to look forward to hearing about your internship experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that you're interning for Soul Cycle! I just went for the first time last week. It really sounds like you have a great internship. I am also working on some social media stuff so I can definitely relate to your internship experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soul Cycle sounds like a great environment to work at. I find its branding incredible. It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself and learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be cool and interesting to go from being a customer to an employee at a company you love! Social media is a huge aspect of any company, so its great that you are learning all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi! this is random but I love soul cycle and I have been super interested in an internship opportunity there, how did you hear about it? thanks!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete