Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 3 at CBS

I have now been at CBS Channel 8 for 3 weeks and I have become very comfortable with the studio, my department, and my co-workers. It is clear that every one of my co-workers enjoys their job and has fun while they work. My mentor, Pat, is amazing. She does a terrific job at giving me feedback, answering all of my questions, and encouraging me to experience new things within the station. For example, Pat noticed that I love editing on FinalCut so she had me sit in and help edit a promotional video but that was only one task. Pat allowing me to work on this video showed that she was confident in my skills and confident in giving me a task that all of San Diego would see.

Script for Live at 11 News

Pat is not the only one I have received feedback from. Many of my coworkers have noticed how much I love watching the news live in studio and have implied that I consider being on camera instead of behind the scenes. I like hearing others opinions especially when they tell me their stories of how they got to the position they hold today.

So far I have not had too many challenges that I was unable to solve on my own but the language that they use in studio is something that I have had to adjust to. For example there are many acronyms, nicknames, and media lingo that I did not know. NATS (natural sounds), B-roll (footage that does not involve either an on camera talent or an interview face on screen), logs (taking clips from each B-roll to create a promo), etc. I was able to figure all of these out on my own after hearing them in context a few times. As my internship continues I am learning so much about this industry and what it takes to create a successful news station.

3 comments:

  1. Savanah,

    I think that it is so great that Pat is giving you more responsibility and is confident in your skills using Final Cut! Pat sounds like an incredible mentor to guide you through your experience at CBS and I hope she continues to give you job tasks that involve more responsibility/challenge you. I also know what you mean by being exposed to a different lingo. I am working for an advertising agency and had to learn several different terms used in the advertising industry. Its funny to think about how every industry has their own language! I look forward to reading the rest of your blog posts!! Good luck with the rest of your internship:)

    Alana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mentor Pat sounds great for giving you such an opportunity! I'm sure she will continue to give you more tasks and maybe even let you do something independently! Also, I completely understand how your job has tons of acronyms because my internship is similar. There are several acronyms here that I still don't understand, but listening in and asking your colleagues will definitely help you learn! Good luck on your internship, and I cannot wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Savannah! Sounds like your internship is amazing and I'm so glad you are learning so much from both the experience and your mentor Pat. I completely understand how it feels to not know a certain "lingo." I am interning at a psychologist office so there are plenty of acronyms for different diseases, psych tests, and procedures. I love reading about your experience and hope that it continues to help you thrive!

    ReplyDelete