Saturday, June 21, 2014

Week 2: Getting to Know Your Colleagues

In my first two weeks as an intern at NBC, the producer and reporter I work for (Lisa and Robin) have served as my biggest mentors as I develop both my journalistic and general professional skills.  Seeing how they interact with interview subjects in a very personable way, decide which story ideas viewers would care about most, and develop the particular angles for news stories has given me insight into how to create compelling stories. 

Additionally, their positive energy is contagious, and they effectively handle any challenges.  For example, most of the investigative pieces do not have strict deadlines, but one morning this past week they had to unexpectedly put together a time-sensitive story for a broadcast later that day.  I was impressed at how they quickly shifted gears and put together all the visual and written elements within a matter of hours.  I aspire to possess these traits because unwavering enthusiasm and the ability to work under a pressure is applicable not only in journalism, but also in many other fields.

Looking forward, I want to advantage of opportunities to expand my network of mentors beyond these people I work closest to in the investigative news department.  In my last post, I mentioned that I attend a morning news meeting.  One woman who attends is responsible for making some final decisions about the broadcasts, such as the order of the stories, after each meeting concludes.  She extended me an open invitation to assist her at some point.  As I begin to get a better grasp on my responsibilities within the investigative news department, I am eager to take her up on the offer, as well as get to know the other regular meeting attendees.
The newsroom
     
My view of the news anchor desk when I sit in on tapings

1 comment:

  1. I am also working at a news station, CBS, and I agree that the positive energy in the studio is contagious! Every employee really loves what they are doing and it makes me excited about going to work!

    ReplyDelete