Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Week 4 at Winger Marketing: Changing Perspectives


Changing Perspectives at Winger Marketing

After four weeks at Winger Marketing, many of my thoughts and opinions about the company have changed in comparison to those I had my first week. As mentioned in my first blog post about Winger, the company is very small. The company is ran by 5 women, none of which work in the office five days a week (instead they work from home). Therefore, the office can be very quiet sometimes. To be honest, it drove me kind of crazy my first two weeks. I had a preconceived notion that the office would never be entertaining and I would never become close with my colleagues since it was so quiet. The lack of noise and chaos wasn't what I imagined the office to be like before my first day and I felt like the days were way too long. This definitely had to do with being new and not being close with my colleagues yet. 

Now that is has been four weeks, I view the office completely differently. I am now much closer with all five of the women. Therefore, no matter which combination of three or four are in the office on any given day, I am able to hold conversation and actually engage with them more like friends rather than as intimidating supervisor and timid intern. Today, one of the women was showing me pictures of her 8-month-old son and we then discussed our favorite baby names for awhile. I even felt confident enough to text another colleague one morning to ask if she could swing by my place on her way to work because it was raining and I didn't want to be soaked at the office by walking. I definitely would have felt uncomfortable asking her this in my first two weeks. Taking all of this into consideration, I now have a new and positive perspective on what it is like to work at a small company. You are able to create stronger relationships with your colleagues than you would if you only interacted with them on an occasion or in the elevator. I feel as if I am making great contacts that I will keep after the internship is over.


2 comments:

  1. It is so nice that you have been able to form relationships with your co-workers. I also work in a small office and it is great to be able to interact with all of the members who work there. Good luck with the rest of your internship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordan,
    I am so glad you have been enjoying your time with these women at your company! I have a very different experience being surrounded by all guys (I work at a sports radio show) so it is interesting to hear about the contrast!
    I hope you continue to enjoy your experiences and cannot wait to talk to you in person about this in the fall!
    Best of luck,
    Tatianna Kroha

    ReplyDelete