Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week 3 at Winger Marketing: Overcoming Obstacles


Week 3 at Winger Marketing: Overcoming Obstacles
       Asking for feedback is a very nerve-racking task. Although I feel much more comfortable with my coworkers this week than I did the first week, I still had to take a deep breath before approaching my supervisor. She was enthusiastic when I asked her if she could give me feedback. She said that she was very impressed that I approached her asking for it, rather than her calling me into her office to discuss it. She started with positive news. She said that I always thoroughly complete my tasks and that it is good that I ask questions when I am confused. I have been very conscious about asking questions to clarify projects because if you don't, you could potentially waste hours of work doing the task completely wrong! Her constructive criticism was that I should speak up if there is something I want to do. I realized that she was completely right. I immediately though about the day before in the office when two coworkers were discussing meeting later in the day to come up with a social media campaign for a new client, Chicago Charity Challenge. I did hear them talking about this meeting and I did think in my head that I would like to sit in and I should ask if I could, but instead I stayed at my desk and continued to copy and paste press releases onto news boards.
        I did surprise myself by one of the tasks I completed this week. Winger has two residential/home design clients: Orren Pickell Building Group and Hydrology. Pickell builds luxury homes in the North Shore suburbs of Chicago and Hydrology designs one-of-a-kind bathroom and kitchen appliances. My supervisor told me that both clients have a Houzz account. I had no idea what Houzz was. She told me to go on it, explore both clients profiles, and than compare their profiles to their competitor's and report back to her on improvements they could make. I soon realized that Houzz is basically Pinterest for home design. People go on there to get ideas for designing new rooms in their homes, and decorators and builders create profiles on it so that these people can come across their work and hopefully hire them or purchase their products. After clicking around, I created a document for each client with recommendations for getting more attention to their profiles. When I printed them out and handed them to my supervisor, she was so impressed. She expected me to simply list and bullet point the recommendations, not create diagrams and take snapshots of good examples on Houzz. Overall, I really enjoyed doing this task and was surprised with the success I had since I had no idea what Houzz was to start. Later in the week, I was assigned a similar task because I am now dubbed "the professional diagram girl."

Here is a snapshot of part of my Houzz suggestions diagram



No comments:

Post a Comment