Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 2: Getting To Know Your Colleagues at Cardinal Communications & Industrial Color


After completing my second week of work, I can say that I love both of my internships. It is not that easy to find a job that you love and simultaneously get along with your boss. But I am very fortunate to have warm-hearted supervisors at both internships.
The Marketing Producer, Julia, is my supervisor at Industrial Color Brands. She is easy-going, positive, and wants me to take away as much knowledge as I can from my internship. She has encouraged me to not stay at my first job for a long time (unless I'm seriously happy) because she believes that a person can only grow with each new experience they encounter. Today, I got to leave work early and take the subway uptown to an event called Le Book. Le Book is an event that offers exposure to companies and members of the creative community. At the event, I networked with a girl named Erika who works for an Events and Motion Production Company called Navia Vision. They recently organized and executed a runway show for the brand Express and created a video to help them gain exposure. I was very happy that my supervisor invited me to this event because it not only allowed me to network with other companies but also gave me the opportunity to meet and socialize with many employees at my company who hold higher-level positions. 
At my other internship, my supervisor is Jackie who is the Senior Account Manager at Cardinal Communications. From day one, Jackie has treated me like a friend rather than an intern. She is extremely bubbly and has repetitively told me to make connections from Day 1. She also has emphasized to me that the key to being happy at a job is to love your boss. Jackie attended FIT and majored in Advertising and Market Communications. She informed me that in is unnecessary to receive a Masters in the type of industry I want to go into and that it is important for me to network with past employees as well as professors at U of M.
Just from this past week, I have had some incredible experiences at Cardinal Communications. First, I was given the task to hand deliver the Magic in the Moonlight movie poster to Woody Allen’s office. Who would ever imagine that Woody Allen’s office is through a door next to elevators in an apartment building? Secondly, Bennett Miller, the director of Money Ball and the upcoming film Foxcatcher (also known as the guy who is dating Ashley Olson) came to my office to brainstorm ideas for the Foxcatcher movie poster. 
I am very thankful that I am in New York this summer because it has opened up several doors for me and introduced me to people I never thought I would have the chance to meet. 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are never bored at either of your internships! Its so cool that your supervisor invited you to the Le Book event, it really does sound like a great networking opportunity. I also wish that my internship involved delivering a movie poster to Woody Allen's office!

    ReplyDelete