Monday, June 9, 2014

First Week at Lionsgate

Last week I began my summer internship at Lionsgate. Their offices are conveniently located about 10 minute from my house in Santa Monica, CA. On the first day, all of the interns attended orientation in the Lionsgate screening room where our internship coordinator gave us background on the company and what is expected of us. After that I was greeted by one of my supervisors who took me to my desk and introduced me to my boss. I am working in the Investor Relations and Executive Communications department. It is a small department consisting of my boss, his assistant, and now me. I am hoping that the size of this department is going to allow for a lot of one on one attention giving me the chance to learn a lot about the company and industry.

Lionsgate is very much an up and coming studio, which makes working here very exciting. They have a lot of film projects in the works as well as several hit TV shows such as Mad Men and Orange is the New Black. I work on the corporate floor where all of the attorneys and executives work. At first I was really intimidated by everyone and the offices filled with Emmys and Oscars, but now I am starting see how down to earth, yet dedicated everyone is.

So far my tasks have consisted of reading old press releases to familiarize myself with their format, sorting through media outlets and finding articles pertaining to Lionsgate, researching, and I got the pleasure of sitting in on a meeting with the President of TV and a reporter who was extremely knowledgeable about the entertainment industry. Last week I mainly just observed how the office works trying to acquaint myself with what is done here. I really like how structured my internship program is and all of the opportunities they provide us. As an intern we can participate in the company's volunteer day, basketball tournament, wellness classes, and attend talks and screenings. For example, the US House of Representatives majority whip, Kevin McCarthy, (aka the real Frank Underwood) came and spoke to us, which I found really exciting. These are great times to network and get to know other employees and interns in the company.

I am hoping that as the weeks go on I will be given projects and that my boss will start to utilize me more. I am very excited about what is to come and I foresee this internship as a great opportunity for me.





5 comments:

  1. Amina! This sounds amazing. Are you majoring in communications? I know the first week is usually a bit slow but it seems like you've got a ton of exciting work ahead of you. Can't wait to hear more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! Yes, I am a Communications and Political Science major.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such a great opportunity! Are you interested in going into this field in the future? How many interns does the company have? Don't worry, I'm sure they will find more work to give you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iman! I am definitely interested in pursuing a career in the entertainment industry and right now I am figuring out what facet I am most drawn to by learning about each department. Lionsgate currently has roughly 100 interns for the summer spread out between their LA, NY, and London offices.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like your internship offers you with a great variety of experiences that you wouldn't have otherwise participated in. I know some time has passed since your first week but I just wonder what the most interesting thing you have participated in has been? It seems like you really feel like a part of the team and it's nice to hear how, even as an intern, a big company like Lionsgate is a very welcoming environment.

    ReplyDelete