Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week 2 at Primary Wave Music: Developing Contacts and Making Introductions


I had a really great second week at Primary Wave Music. My supervisor had finally returned from his time off, so I was able to get to know him and start to work with him this past week. At first, I was nervous that I was going to have to complete “typical intern tasks” such as running errands, getting coffee, etc., but this was not the case. Immediately he was inviting and friendly, and did not treat me as one below him, which I was very happy about. While I did run a few errands, they were all pretty cool. My boss sent me out to a few companies to pick up concert tickets, drop off information about artists, and more. By doing these errands, I was able to visit different music companies and see their offices, meet some workers at other music labels, etc. My supervisor wanted me to meet people at other companies to learn to expand my network, which was really great.
            The best part of my week, however, was definitely being able to sit in on a listening session/meet and greet with the music group “Jagged Edge”. All staff members, including all of the interns, listened to a new song of theirs, and got to meet the group. After sitting in the room for about ten minutes, and hearing executives at the company continue to mention the name, “Jermaine Dupri”, I finally realized that Jermaine Dupri was sitting directly next to me. Of course, I remained calm, but felt completely star-struck by the legendary producer himself. Growing up listening to music regularly I’ve always heard the name “Jermaine Dupri”, and to actually be sitting in a room next to him at work felt surreal.
            Also during this week, one of the managers/publishers in the office gave some of the interns a small “101” class on the music business (ranging from producing, to prices, to touring, etc.) This was also really interesting because he went into more of the business side of the music world, which we were all pretty unfamiliar with. As this week comes to a close, I’m beginning to get excited for what next week has in store. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your internship sounds so cool! I cannot believe you got to sit next to Jermaine Dupri. It seems like you are learning so much at Primary Wave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily...your internship sounds awesome. It seems like your getting to do tons of great things and it is nice that your boss does not make you run silly errands. Good luck with the rest of your internship.

    ReplyDelete