Sunday, June 15, 2014

Week 2: Getting to Know Your Colleagues



In week two, I have been settling into my internship position. I have been given many responsibilities, most of which are not even typical “intern jobs” such as making copies, getting coffee, running errands. One of my bosses has essentially put me in charge of calling in all of the products for a photo shoot for a story for Martha Stewart Living Magazine’s October issue. It has been quite a challenge trying to get everything to the office on time and calling all of the right people and dealing with it, but a great learning experience. I also have been put in charge of pulling products for 5 beauty videos that will be put on Marthastewart.com. I have been meeting with producers for the videos and calling in all of the necessary products, that I, myself, was told to choose. I will actually be featured in two of the videos, which will be filmed tomorrow, and I will be sure to post the links to the videos on my blog as soon as they go up.
            I have actually found that most all people that I work with are somewhat mentors to me. At the moment, my biggest influence and possible mentor is the assistant to two of my bosses, Sarah. I sit next to Sarah, and she is really helpful and not bothered whenever I need anything. I really admire her patience and how she handles all of the stressful work that she has to do. She helps me with any questions that I have and even will help me with an issue dealing with my third boss, not the two that she actually works for. She has told me that if I would like to continue to work at Martha Stewart one day, what I am doing right now is the best experience that I could gain. Melissa, the beauty and style director has also told me that I am gaining invaluable experience and making numerous connections that could help me with a position at Martha Stewart, or at another magazine in the future.
            I am not allowed to take photographs in the office as there was a problem with interns last year taking pictures of things for the magazine that were not supposed to me released yet. However, Martha does like to give her interns generous gifts to show her appreciation and here is a picture of a few of the things that I have received.

3 comments:

  1. Haley, you sound like you are loving every second of your internship! They sound very lucky to have such a dedicated intern! I hope you continue to enjoy your summer in New York and I am looking forward to hearing all about it! (Happy birthday ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that you don't have to do typical intern tasks. At an internship, it is somewhat scary to feel as if you're bothering somebody you work for, but I'm sure it's very comforting for you that Sarah is very helpful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley...your internship sounds great so far. It's awesome that they gave you tons of responsibility right from the start. It seems like the people you are working with really value what the interns do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete