Monday, June 9, 2014

Week 1: Environment/Initial Impressions at The 48th District Court

     Last week I began my first week interning for Judge Kim Small at the 48th District court located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. During my senior year in high school I was asked by one of my teachers to help out here for two weeks at the end of the school year. Then, I immediately fell in love with the 48th District court and the court system itself. During my first week here, I have jumped right back to where I felt two years ago, right at home. The staff that work with Judge Small along with the other Judges and staff were so welcoming and helpful while I relearned my way around the courthouse and the system. Through everything that I am asked to do I feel very prepared for and eager to participate in. Since the courthouse is pretty small, everyone works together on every project the Judges need done, making for a family like atmosphere. Every morning I wake up eager to head back to work.

     There are several other interns working in the 48th District Court, which gives me the opportunity to work along side them as well at meet new people. Having other interns around my same age is refreshing and comforting since I know I always have someone I can ask for help if all of the other staff are busy with higher level work than we are given. So far I have been able to watch interesting court cases as well as be apart of the Judges and attorneys discussions before and after trails. Here I get the behind the scenes introduction to law that I could not get just form watching trails inside the courtroom as a guest.

     So far I have absolutely loved my experience at the 48th District court and I am very excited to work here for the rest of my summer and learn from all the experiences I am about to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment