Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week 2 at CBS

Last week was my second week at CBS and I started to get to know my colleagues much better. My colleagues seemed extremely interested in "my story", where I was from, what my interests were, what my intentions for this internship were, etc. This excessive interest in my life made me feel extremely welcome and a part of the CBS team, not just an intern.

Two colleagues mentored me in what I believed would be a formal but was the complete opposite. These mentors were the two anchors, Nichelle Medina and Dan Cohen, whom are extremely familiar faces to any San Diegan. I was able to sit in on a live newscast at 11 AM. During this news cast there were three people in the studio; Nichelle, Dan, and myself. No camera men, no meteorologist, no producer, only us three. Today, the studio is completely computer generated and camera men are not required. When I entered the studio and realized that I was the only other person in the room besides the anchors I was immediately intimidated but they made me feel extremely welcome. Between every story or on a commercial break both Nichelle and Dan would ask me questions about my life, school, my interests, and why I want to work in television. They provided me with insight, their experiences, and reassurance that this is a field I can see myself begin happy in.



Shortly after we began talking Dan asked me if I had a LinkedIn account and when I said yes he was pleasantly surprised and added me to his network immediately.

This week I was also taken out in the field to help interview some of the San Diego Chargers, specifically the Quarterback, Phillip Rivers, for a promotional piece. Along this does not relate to my colleagues it was an amazing experience to see how interviews are conducted and most importantly how quick and efficient the interviews are. I expected our trip to take a few hours but we were back in the studio within an hour and a half. When we got back the footage was already uploaded and we were able to begin creating the video.


My second week at CBS Channel 8 was amazing and I cannot wait to start week 3 tomorrow!


3 comments:

  1. Savannah,

    I was so impressed to hear that nowadays studios are completely computer generated and that camera men are not required. From the audiences perspective, I expected a ton of people running around getting the cameras in place, etc. but I was amazed to hear that that doesn't happen anymore! The pictures of your internship and job seem very interesting, as CBS is a channel I have watched before, so it's cool going behind the scenes and seeing what it is actually like! I hope you enjoy your upcoming weeks and can't wait to hear about it!

    Maddie Fasel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savannah,

    I think that is so great that your co-workers want to learn about you! Finding common interests is key to connecting with the people you work with! I also am very jealous that you received the opportunity to sit in on a live newscast! I am excited to read your future posts!

    Alana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah, it's great that your co-workers are so interested in getting to know you and make you feel like an important addition to the news team. I sit in on live newscasts during my internship with NBC in Chicago too, but there are two other staff members who work in the studio besides the anchors. It's really interesting that your studio is completely computer-generated and illustrates how the broadcast industry's transition to completely computer-run newscasts is still in progress. I have also observed how efficient the interview process is, and I admire how reporters are so relatable to all different types of interview subjects. I am looking forward to hearing more about your internship!

    ReplyDelete