Monday, June 30, 2014

Pacers Sports and Entertainment: Overcoming Obstacles

As I approach the midpoint of my internship, I see myself becoming more accustomed to my surroundings and co-workers. Everybody here is so friendly and welcoming, which in turn allows me to become more comfortable and outgoing.
As I mentioned in my last post, my boss has been teaching me the scripts that the ticket sales consultants run through when they call clients. Last week, we also ran through the longer scripts for the corporate ticket sales consultants. I am usually a very shy and introverted person when I am put in uncomfortable situations. Practicing these scripts with my boss was a little bit nerve-wracking for me because I didn't want to completely mess up the pitch. However, as we practiced with it more and more, I saw myself let go of my insecurities by gaining more confidence and strength in my ability to pitch to clients. At the beginning, I was laughing at my mistakes and messing up on the order of what I needed to say; but by the end, I was correcting my mistakes without flinching and running through the script smoothly. While there is still a lot of room for improvement, and I have yet to pitch the script to an actual client, I believe I have significantly improved in this area. Overcoming my shyness and gaining confidence with this task has allowed me to really put myself in the shoes of these sales consultants. I could really see myself being a sales consultant in the future.
Last Wednesday and Friday, I shadowed some of the sales representatives during the Fever games, our WNBA team. I watched them interact with clients and I even met some of them. Knowing that the sales consultants trust me enough to meet their clients is really pleasing. Here are a few pictures of the arena during the game.
 

 
Another fun thing my office does it the tie-cutting ceremony. This is a ceremony that happens when a sales consulting has a $10,000 sale. Everybody gathers in the room and watches as the reps tie gets cut. As you can see, in the background there are a bunch of ties hanging up. He must walk with a half-tie for the rest of the day.
 

1 comment:

  1. Talking on the phone is absolutely an underrated skill. I would be nervous too. Sounds like you pulled out all right in the end though.

    ReplyDelete