Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Blog 1: O, the Oprah Magazine


Right when I walked through the glass double doors at the magazine, I was greeted to a high paced environment with people running around, racks of clothes around the office, and color all over. My job, in the fashion closet, requires me to be continually aware of what is going on and ready to work. My first impressions of O were of the fashion closet, which consists of racks upon racks of dresses, skirts, tops, shoes, bag, and accessories. I was thrown right into work organizing and cleaning out racks. Before my first day of work, I was given an intern handbook, which laid out basic rules and regulations for the fashion closet regarding dress code, conduct, and social media. But, I had to figure out most of the unwritten rules on my own or through the other interns.  The intern handbook loosely explained our dress code, but I realized that you must always look polished and put together, but it was below business casual. It took me about a day to figure out the routine of checking in and checking out clothes, which consists of most of my day, but the other interns helped me out a lot. The head intern and my supervisor were really helpful and answered any of my questions that I had. I was literally exhausted after my first day, but realized that even when the days get slow I always had to be ready to run an errand or do something in the closet.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really great experience Alexa! Do you work with a lot of other interns or is it just a few of you working together in the fashion closet? Is that your main work or are there other responsibilities you have as well? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexa! I hope you are loving New York! Its a very exciting city! Your internship sounds amazing! Oprah is lucky to have such a enthusiastic and dedicated intern working for her magazine this summer! You sound like the perfect girl for this internship! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your internship seems really cool, especially working for Oprah's Magazine. It definitely seems that it is extremely fast-paced and you are always kept busy! Do the large amount of tasks make your day go by faster? Good Luck, I hope you get to meet Oprah!

    ReplyDelete