Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 2: Pacers Sports and Entertainment

This week was a short week. After every Pacers season, the office closes to allow for all the staff to get a little break from all the stress and chaos that the season brought. Therefore, I only had to work on Monday and Tuesday. Some of my work was busy intern work, such as stuffing envelopes and mailing invitations out; other work was more challenging, such as creating more in-depth invoices and researching information on some target companies.
Something exciting that happened in the office was that George Hill came in to get a tour of the ticket sales office. He surprised everyone when he picked up the phone to call a client and knew exactly what to say in order to get them to buy season tickets. In addition, when I was stuffing envelopes, I was doing it in the suites overlooking Lance Stevenson and some other players practicing on the main court.
In addition, this past week has really allowed me to gain an appreciation for my boss and everything he does. Since it is the off-season right now, things are moving kind of slowly in the office, so I have been able to get a lot of attention from him. He has shown that he cares a lot about teaching me everything around the office--not just about the corporate sales department (the department I am interning for). For example, last Monday, he took me to one of the suites and had me practice the script that the general ticket sales reps go through. This activity helped me get a feel for the department and how difficult it is to be a sales representative.
So far, I am enjoying my time here with the Pacers and I can see myself doing this in the long run. Before I began this internship, I was afraid of being a woman in such a male-dominated field; however, everybody has been extremely kind and my abilities haven't been downplayed at all. In fact, everybody has been extremely welcoming! Almost every day, I have been going to lunch with coworkers and fellow interns.
In addition, I enjoy how every day brings something new. While the sales representative are reading from the same script to different clients, there are still different interactions between each client, which creates some excitement and keep us on our toes. I have had jobs in the past where I was doing the same exact thing from day to day (i.e. plugging numbers in to the system and creating paperwork for clients), and I was fed up with it by the end of the three months. This time, I am learning something new every day and I can't wait to see what else my time here brings!

Here is a picture of George Hill making a call in the office!

3 comments:

  1. That's really great that your boss has enough time to give you personal attention. Sounds like it currently being a slower time of the season and in the office may benefit your intern experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool you got to meet some of the players! I also think it is great that your boss is making sure you get exposed to other aspects of the field and not just the department you're interning for. This sounds like a very exciting internship and I look forward to hearing more about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a major NBA fan, I love reading your blog posts and think it is so cool you get to be working for a professional league. I like how it doesn't really sound like you are doing typical "intern duties" and you even get to see some of the players in action. Even though I am a Miami Heat fan (haha), George Hill is such an amazing person and player and I think it's so special you got the opportunity to see his personality and communicate with him. I understand what you mean about being a female in a male-dominated field and I would be nervous too, but it is great you have been able to overcome it. I really look forward to hearing more about your experience!

    ReplyDelete