Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week #2 Getting to Know Your Colleagues: Maddie Fasel

During my second week at the Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH Magazine, I have learned a lot about what I will be doing this summer, as well as who I will be spending the most time with. As for the interns, there are about 3 here each day. Each specific job position (as you may call it) whether that be an editor, graphic designer, multimedia producer, publisher, art director, etc. has there own specific intern-- so there is a wide variety of skill level and creative juices flowing every day! My specific mentor falls in the editing department. As I had mentioned in my previous posts, each of the individuals working at SPLASH magazine are fairly young. This helps me feel more comfortable when needing assistance or help on a task I feel uneasy about.

With that, the qualities I admire about my mentors are there ability to think so creatively. I have always been a creative person myself, easy to say that I would rather take more of the "creative arts" classes than math/science courses. And that is exactly how the people here at SPLASH think. Being an intern, it's easy to listen in on the conversations that are going on between the workers and it amazes me hearing possible titles, stories, peoples, subjects, etc. that they think of at the top of there heads! Also, when celebrities come in to be interviewed, they are so laid back! Furthermore, I love how they love their jobs. Many people work and get in a habit of working solely for the money, etc. But the people at SPLASH love what they do and are excited about each new project every week-- something I hope to be in the future!

I would love to follow in the career path at SPLASH magazine in the future. After talking to other interns and colleagues, they have said that I am already on a good start to my future. Being only a freshman, I have accomplished receiving an amazing opportunity in the city I love and hope to live in in the future. To continue, I hope to come back here next summer and maybe even the summer after that! I believe that SPLASH is a perfect start to my future and my colleagues agree that I am at the foundation of my career. The advice they gave me is to keep in touch with my fellow mentor throughout the school year. That way I am able to have resources to contact or people I feel I can talk to about jobs for the summer. I am definitely going to do this and hope it works out for me next summer!

Take a look at my first publication!: http://splash.suntimes.com/2014/06/10/sho-obsessed-wine-cellars/#.U6BiuMbAp4M

Also, take a look at our pictures from our fathers day shoot of Charles Tillman and his family:


 

2 comments:

  1. It is very cool and impressive that you got to have this internship as a freshman! It's awesome that you are having such a great experience that you would want to continue going back there each summer. That will definitely make the end of each school year less stressful because you won't have to stress over figuring out where you are going to intern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that you seem to be fitting in at SPLASH so well. Maybe this will be your job in the future! Therefore I would definitely agree that keeping in touch with your mentor may be a great idea. You can use your mentor to potentially have this internship next summer, but also they are great resources for the variety of other questions you may want answered by someone as successful as they are.

    ReplyDelete