Sunday, June 22, 2014

Getting to Know my Colleagues at The Big Ten Network

Week Two on the Job at the Big Ten Network was just as fun!  Not only was it a blast, but I also was able to shadow Dave Revsine, Big Ten's lead in-studio host.



Dave Revsine
BTN In-Studio Host


As I arrived to the office around 10am, I met Dave for the first time.  He was nice, yet professional, and gave me a full summary of his career, which included starting at a small station then working at ESPN, the Holy Grail of sports reporting.  

After talking for a while, he then proceeded to show me the task of the day, hosting a NBA draft preview show, showcasing all of the Big Ten players entering the draft.  First, he gave me the show's rundown and after we both took a good look at it, he went to work writing his lines that would go on the teleprompter in addition to over seven pages of notes he would use during the hour show.  He then showed me all of the features and highlights that would be on the show, and informed me how much time he would spend looking at these in order to be familiar with what would be coming up next in the show.

Little did he know it, but this man would soon become my mentor.  He was so kind, well-organized, and prepared for his task of hosting an hour long show that day.  I was so impressed by his work ethic and knowledge of the sports broadcasting industry as a whole.  

After hours of preparation, I observed Dave host the show.  He was fantastic!  After the show, he looked at some of my on camera work and gave me advice. He told me my reel was great and to stay in touch with him as I apply for on camera jobs in the future.   

It was another perfect week at Big Ten and I had just received some great news from a great television host!


2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have him as a mentor! Will you be seeing him more often or will you be getting another mentor? Definitely keep in touch with him because he might be able to help you out with opportunites in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that he gave you positive feedback on your camera work! You should definitely keep up that talent and keep practicing because that seems like a viable career path option for you. Congrats on his compliment -- was probably super exciting to receive.

    ReplyDelete