Wednesday, June 11, 2014

2) Getting to Know Your Colleagues

I have met some incredible and inspiring people at my internship so far - all people whom I consider to be mentors to me in unique ways.  I do not know if I would necessarily like to get involved in a small-business in my future career, however, if I were to run my own start-up it would be from the business model that my boss, Danny, employs.  Firstly, he is an extremely hardworking individual who devotes all of his time into his business.  Not only does he care about his product, and the lives of those whose lives he is changing through his product, but he makes an effort to pay attention to his employees needs. He has the ability to work with each employee, which brings about a more casual and, ultimately, more productive work environment. I have had good and bad bosses in the past - its easy to tell the difference.  A good boss shows you your worth to them, and the praise I receive for my effort makes me want to work even harder.

I also look up to my co-worker, and friend, Rabea.  He is just 24, and yet is already very accomplished in the field that he cares passionately about.  I think that he is in a position where every student out of college wants to be - he knows what he wants to do, and is already doing it, with multiple job offers. Not only this, but he has another handicap working against him that he is amazingly able to overcome; Being an Israeli-Arab entrepreneur is extremely hard in Israel, where most of the technology jobs in Tel Aviv are made up of Jews, with a very small representation of others.  I have seen this firsthand, as an important deal we had fell through due simply to Israel-Palestinian ethnic differences.  What Rabea is doing now is extremely admirable because it, I hope, will eventually have long lasting effects, at least in the business world, for these two groups to work together.

I will definitely stay in touch with both Danny and Rabea after my internship is over.  They are now good friends, and people whose skills and attributes I envision myself to have in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Aidan,

    It is awesome that you're getting to know your colleagues well. While you are working, do you try to act as if you are one of them? Do you join in on their conversations, meetings, etc? Or do you make it evident that you're an intern and try to stay in the background?

    This is something I am dealing with in my internship. While I believe I am starting to get to know the staff, I always wonder how far I should go with it, you know what I mean? I would just like to know how you interact with them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete