Thursday, June 19, 2014

Week 2: Getting to Know Your Colleagues


One aspect of the internship process that I really enjoy is that my coworkers are always teaching me. When they are not hovering over my shoulder, pointing on the screen and defining placements that I can use to help contribute in the next campaign brainstorm, they are still speaking to me and teaching me a lot about my future career path (I hope it will be, at least). Regarding formal mentoring, each and every one of them has taken the time to stop what they have been doing, and speak to me about their particular role within the company. This way, I am able to hear about what interests me and if I am interested, I have the opportunity to dig a little deeper and work with them on one of their projects. Regarding informal mentoring, I have gone to lunch with my coworkers and they have told me about their past work experiences. Just recently, I learned that some of my coworkers had come from completely different businesses, unrelated to youth digital marketing. It was cool to listen to why they decided to alter their career paths, and hear how happy they are with their current jobs. In order to follow in their paths, they have suggested that I simply 1) take advantage of my internships so I can feel out the process of choosing a career, and deciding what interests me, and 2) learn about every aspect of the business. I see these people as potential mentors because of their persistence that has allowed them to be successful in the advertising world. I really value their opinions, and am excited to learn more about both the business, and just life lessons in general.

Attached you can find the picture of a recent placement (skin) so you can have a sense of what I am talking about – this placement (background) is currently being used to advertise for Lunchables – you can see it bordering the game screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment