Friday, June 27, 2014

Overcoming Obstacles


            So far I believe my employer thinks I am doing a good job. I receive a lot of praise from the staff in the Marketing and Development departments. Often they will commend me on my willingness to help. Richard made it very clear that I was not going to be intern that just runs errands and makes coffee. However, there is always some sort of busy work that needs to be done.
            When I would be assigned to stuff envelopes, inventory incentive materials, or file invoices for example, I never felt exploited because it made more sense for me to do this. Otherwise, the actual employees would have to waste their valuable time doing it. So I would always be willing to do this, no matter how tedious or time consuming it was.
            On the other hand, I was given many opportunities with a heavier responsibility. For example, I wrote a press release, which required many drafts and time spent for editing. It seemed like a daunting task but with the guidance of my coworkers it was fairly simple. Overall, the process went smoothly and the report was published.
            Generally, there were not many obstacles that I struggled to overcome. That is not to say I was not challenged. With the careful guidance and great support from my colleagues there was not a time where I felt lost or confused with the tasks I was assigned. 

4 comments:

  1. It is nice that you work in an environment where you don't have to do meaningless errands like getting coffee. It seems like the people who you work with trust you in all that you are doing. Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rebecca, I really could relate to your comment about how there's certain tasks that need to be done that make sense for you to do rather than other employees. Although at times they may seem tedious and annoying, these tasks need to be done by someone, like an intern. I have had to import a lot of codes into some of the online articles that definitely can get boring, but I realize that someone has to do it. Can't wait to read more about your experience in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you and Jessie about the tasks needing to be done that make sense for an intern. I find myself at work wondering how this is going to help me, etc. but agree on the aspect that all of it needs to be done (even if boring at times). I hope your internship continues to develop and you have a great rest of the summer there!

    ReplyDelete