Sunday, June 15, 2014

Inside the ER: Fourth Week at EMRAP

My fourth week in EMRAP was actually somewhat slow. It was not as exciting as the previous weeks, which made me question my expectations of the program. 

In the beginning of the program, I shadowed physicians and nurses, which excited me quite a bit! I thought that the research aspect would be as exciting. I thought that I would be accompanying physicians to patient rooms and would be enrolling patients several times a day. Unfortunately, I was given the 8 AM Sunday and Monday shifts. The ER is typically slow on any morning and is especially slow on Sundays. 

As a research associate, I have to screen patients who are eligible for the three studies that SJMHS is doing. On my first two research shadowing days, I ended up just talking to the chief associates about life and school. We often looked on the tracking board for anyone to consent, but there were no eligible patients to even screen. The chief associates told me that due to my shift schedule, I will be getting extremely slow days for the rest of the summer. They suggested that I should take the time to do some personal work or even do some shadowing. Hopefully, in the fall semester, I can switch my schedule to a day where there is some action.

Nevertheless, I did learn some new things about the hospital. I learned where the clinical lab is where we have to store samples, the morgue, the MICU, and the SICU. I also learned that when trying to consent septic patients, we have to consent the patients' family members. The chief associate Derek almost consented a patient, but the patient's family member seemed uncomfortable. From that experience, I learned that when talking to people, we have to sit them down and talk calmly; we also have to respect them and thank them for their time even if they decline the study.

In class this week, we were in the auditorium because the primary investigator spoke to us about the sepsis study. I learned that sepsis is one of the leading cause of deaths in the ER and one of the common reasons that patients come to the ER. The primary investigator really wanted to create this study to help increase efficiency in the department and to do early goal directed therapy for patients. After the presentation, we took our quiz for sepsis.

A little more information about the program: we have a class from 12:30-2:30 PM in which we learn more about the research studies in SJMHS and other things about the medical field. We have to take quizzes and participate in order to get a grade in our class. Eastern students receive a letter grade, while us, UM students get a pass/fail credit. Honestly, I look forward to this class because I am enjoying the company of my new friends. Actually, next week, we will be going to Panera Bread together for brunch before class! I am so excited!

Here are some pictures from this week:
 (Alina and Christina in their natural state)
 (Alina and Christina back to normal)
(Jake and Nate cheesing hard)

No comments:

Post a Comment