Saturday, June 7, 2014

Week 1 at UrbanBound: Environment and Initial Impressions


Week 1 at UrbanBound

As mentioned in my other blog about my internship at Winger Marketing, I am doing two part time internships this summer. On Wednesdays and Thursdays I intern at UrbanBound, a start-up technology company that works to ease the relocation process for company's employees through technology. I am the marketing intern and work closely with the marketing department to help increase UrbanBound's presence on social media.

Working at UrbanBound is great. One of UrbanBound's policies is to have a group huddle every morning at 8:50. During this huddle, every employee says what they accomplished the day before, what their goal is for the day, and their top moment from the day before. It is a great way to bring the team together and to make sure that everyone is up-to-date on their coworkers projects and progress. Although my supervisors told me I do not need to come to the huddles, I really enjoy listening to them. On my second day I even got to speak! I talked about how I learned how to use their marketing platform, HubSpot, on my first day, how I looked forward to sending out an infographic blast that day, and how my favorite thing about the day before was that my first day at UrbanBound went great. This group huddle technique reminded me of some of the things I learned in Entrepreneurship Hour 407 last semester. I listened to a lot of start-up founders talk about innovative and creative ways to create a great atmosphere in their offices. I definitely think that this huddle practice should be followed by other companies.

One of the coolest projects I did at UrbanBound this week was writing a blog. UrbanBound writes numerous blogs about relocation, human resources, millennials, and other office-related topics. My supervisor showed me an article by Business Insider about how millennials are much more likely to relocate for their female spouses or partners than baby boomers or pre-boomers. She told me to write a blog post about this phenomenon and my thoughts on it. When I finished, I was really nervous to show my supervisor because I was scared she would not like it. Luckily, she loved it! She showed me how to post it to their website and how to track its views and shares on HubSpot. Read it here if you are interested: http://www.urbanbound.com/blog/as-women-move-up-their-partners-move-with-them

They put this on the front door on my first day!


2 comments:

  1. The huddle idea is great for getting to know how people think! Also, it is so impressive that you're doing two internships? How did you find out about these internships! I hope you are learning more things and meeting more people :D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow showing her your first article must have been so nerve wrecking! I’m so happy she liked it and it will definitely be easier to show her articles in the future. It’s also really cool to see that you were able to take what you learned from the entrepreneurship class and apply it to your internship. Class seems worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete