Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Week 1 at Winger Marketing: Environment and Initial Impressions






First Week at Winger Marketing

I had a great first week at Winger Marketing. Since I am balancing two part time internships this summer, I am only at Winger on Mondays, Tuesday, and the occasional Friday. The first two days  proved to me that I will definitely still learn a lot by being there three days a week.

By the end of my first day I was already making notes of some of Winger's office politics and protocols. For example, while lunch time is definitely a great break from stressful work, Winger uses it as a time to come together as a company and find out what projects everyone is working on, what progress can be made, and what new tasks can be assigned. Therefore, while it is important for me to enjoy my lunch so I have the energy to make it through the day, it is also necessary to always bring a pen and notepad to the table to keep track of what I need to get done throughout the week. Additionally, I learned about all of the employees positions and who I should go to for questions or assignments. The company is very small and is made up of five awesome women who are great at what they do. There is a President, Vice President, Development Coordinator, Account Executive, and Assistant Account Executive. Although all of the women have different titles, each one communicates with various clients and is able to provide great marketing insight. This week I was mainly being trained by and reporting to the Assistant Account Executive who then reports to the Account Executive. Since it is a small office though, I have gotten to know the other four women very well and plan on assisting all of them with their tasks.

It is great that Winger has a casual dress code. On my first day I wore jeans with a blouse which seemed to be perfect. I've noticed that being surrounded by a small group of women, all of whom are dressed casually, helps to
break down intimidation barriers and makes everyone seem more approachable.

The coolest thing I did this week though was I wrote a press release for their client, New Balance. New Balance recently opened a story near Winger's office and hired them to help with their marketing. My press release was targeted towards upcoming Fathers Day and how kids should buy their dads new tennis, running, and golf gear from New Balance. After working hard on my first draft I was nervous to give it to my Assistant Account Executive but she loved it and I am excited to see it online soon!

Entrance to Winger Marketing
My desk

No comments:

Post a Comment