Thursday, June 5, 2014

Week 2: getting to know my colleagues

I am well into Week 2 of my internship here at RMO Wetherly, and one think I am lucky to say is that I am surrounded by welcoming, friendly, and fun colleagues. I feel extremely comfortable with my bosses and work close and well with my fellow interns. Most mentoring in this organization is casual and informal. My bosses sit right across from me so our interactions are on a more personal level and quite often because of the close proximity. We use e-mail to communicate a lot, but there is always face to face interaction which creates a more welcoming, close knit work environment. In my department, I have two bosses, Amanda and Jaclyn, who assign me tasks through out the day. They are both in their mid 20s and are very easy to talk to. We have much in common and share our thoughts about the latest news, trends, and the inventory we receive. I can tell they value my opinion and my hard work. I value their diligent but also understanding nature.

Yesterday, we received a request from Maxim Magazine for jewelry for Jessica Alba to wear for the cover of the September 2014 issue. Amanda gave the assignment to me. I was very nervous at first, but the pieces I picked up ended up being chosen by Maxim! I enjoyed this task because I know that I can see the final product of my work and that my input does in fact make a difference in this office.
 here is what I picked!



3 comments:

  1. My bosses also sit right across from me, which I definitely agree stimulates interactions on a more person level. We use both email and Skype within the office to communicate and update each other on what tasks we have accomplished and/or are currently working on. One of our clients is a jewelry company called Fortune & Frame, which was just featured in People magazine. I too can relate to feeling nervous when I'm given certain tasks. I hope you continue to learn and enjoy your internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your internship seems so cool! That’s awesome that they ended up choosing the jewelry pieces you suggested. Can’t wait to hear more about the other projects you’ll be given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing that what you chose is what ended up being used. I know that must have been nerve-wracking, but I am sure it felt great and you should be proud. My mentoring at my internship is also casual and informal, which helps ease my nerves at work if I have any questions and just in general. Using e-mail to communicate is easier sometimes because you can really express what you want to say more clearly and it helps keep track of information- that's why I like it. Good luck with the rest of your internship!

    ReplyDelete