Monday, June 23, 2014

Environment/Initial Impressions at New You Magazine

So far, my experience working for New You Magazine is beyond imaginable. Before I started, I was expecting to be fulfilling typical “intern duties” and experience constant boredom. However, within the first week, I have been kept busy helping out with different projects and actually writing blogs and tips for the online portion of the magazine. I did not think I would be granted such exciting responsibilities, but I have truly enjoyed the opportunity to share my ideas with the company. I can’t wait for what’s in store for the future and other duties I will fulfill.

I absolutely love the work environment. I sit at a large cubicle near other employees, but I face outwards so I am able to see all the office action. I have only decorated my cubicle a little bit so far, but I keep putting that on the top of my to-do list so that it’s not so dull. 

The office environment is a bit noisier than what I expected, so sometimes I find it difficult to concentrate on my tasks since I enjoy silent environments while working. However, I have been able to overcome this problem and have gotten more used to the constant background noise.

I have my own email account set up that I use as my primary source of communication to contact different PR companies for product information and/or samples. However, my boss made sure that the IT department downloaded Skype on my computer because she prefers using instant messaging more than email. This has actually made it really convenient since I don’t have to overflow her inbox with quick, simple questions. Plus, I get more immediate responses. Right away, I knew that although this is a large company, the communication at the site is kept casual and easy, which was comforting. 

The dress is business casual, which is I really like because it allows me to look professional, but still feel comfortable and wear the majority of the clothes I already own. Most of the people I work with wear flats/sandals for summer and dress casually, but some of the executives and those holding higher positions wear more professional clothes and suits. It makes them more easily recognized.


I am so excited for what else is in store for me and cannot wait to keep sharing my experience! 

1 comment:

  1. Jessie, your job sounds great so far! It's great that you don't have to run typical intern tasks. You're lucky you get your own private cubicle.. where I work, I sit with 12 other interns. Good luck with the rest of your internship.

    ReplyDelete