Thursday, June 26, 2014

Week 3: Overcoming Obstacles


While completing what seemed like a small task in the office this past week, I ended up feeling like the task was much more complex as the week progressed due to unnecessary complications. As a Michigan student, I had come up with a much more efficient way to complete this task. But as an intern, I felt uncomfortable speaking up to one of my advisors so I completed the task in her dragged out manner. Nonetheless, after a while, I built up the courage to express my suggestion. Surprisingly, she was very willing to complete the task using my method and the task was completed within minutes.
Working two internships has been very beneficial to me because I find that I always take what I learn at one company and bring it to the other. When a similar task arose at my second internship yesterday, I spoke up to my advisor who was happy that I would be able to complete her first task quickly so that I could move onto the second task. Although just an intern, I have learned that the advisors understand that we are intelligent and are open to our suggestions, so I will be sure to continue to speak up in the long run if it will mean a more efficient long term effect for the company (and no trouble for me).

2 comments:

  1. I think its awesome that you are able to apply what you learn in one job to another. It seems like you are working very hard and very interested in finishing all your tasks to the best of your ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you got up the courage to make that suggestion. I think it's important to make your voice heard -- that's how you get noticed! Sometimes, my ideas get shot down here at my internship too, but that's how it goes. All part of the process.

    ReplyDelete