Saturday, June 28, 2014

Initial Impressions


I had my first day as an intern at Fox Sports Radio two days ago and was very pleasantly surprised by the experience. I am not known for my overwhelming knowledge of sports, so naturally I was very nervous about being a part of such a different and foreign environment. However, upon arriving, I was immediately greeted by warm faces and great personalities. I was expecting to be treated like the stereotypical intern – getting coffee and filing papers – but to my surprise I was never asked to anything like that. All of the radio hosts and personalities came into the room I was working in, introduced themselves and made small talk. This was such a nice gesture to me, being that I semi-expected to be overlooked as the unpaid help. One of the radio hosts who is very established at the station and I even had a long talk about University of Michigan because we were enemies: his family members were Michigan State people. I never thought that I would enjoy working in such a sports-heavy field so much; however, I learned that it really comes down to the people that are surrounding you. My only negative thought so far about working has been the commute. I live very far away from my place of work, and have a very early shift, so getting to work in the mornings is a little brutal, but since I have met such great people I expect that I will quickly overlook the drive and just get excited for work.

3 comments:

  1. Tati, this sounds like such an enriching experience, especially since you (and myself included) aren't into the sports world. I couldn't agree more that having such great people around you makes working so much more enjoyable. Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your internship sounds great! It is so nice that everyone was so welcoming, and that despite the commute, you are enjoying something you did not know if you would.

    ReplyDelete