Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 2: Getting to know people!

So my first week in Nashville I actually stayed with one of the reporters at the paper, named Tony. He gave me a bunch of help for my first week, and has been a really great mentor. Living with him really helped me get to know him and the more we talk, the more we click I think. He helps me come up with story ideas, which is so helpful.

My internship adviser's name is Jessica Bliss, and she is absolutely fantastic. She gives me a lot of freedom when it comes to coming up with stories and brainstorming off-the-wall ideas. I'm completely comfortable with her, and feel like I can ask her anything in the office. Plus she has invited me to come and hang out with her and her family outside of work, as well!
Photo: Had such a lovely time (and a lot of ice cream) with these wonderful ladies today!
This is us at an icecream social event. Jessica and one of her sons is on the left, and another reporter from the paper, Jenn Todd, is on the right.

This past week, Jessica went to cover Bonnaroo, so I got a ton of work at the office, covering a lot of things she would normally cover. My lead about roller derby moms is coming out this Thursday, and I'm too stoked about it. We're trying to find a place to put the article about the magical Twerk Master Jay, as well. I'm aiming for the front page of the paper so we'll see!

I've also been chatting with the head editor in charge of the paper -- she's from Detroit like me, so we've talked a lot about the city. She told me she's glad that I always stop in and say hi to her, because she's convinced everyone else is scared of her. She'll be a really great connection to have going forward, because she has a lot of connections to Detroit jobs.

Socially, outside the office, everything is fantastic. I get along really really well with my craigslist roommates, and I've been hanging out with Greg from U of M and his friends at their dorms on Vanderbilt's campus. Yesterday, we did a huge shopping trip to pick up some work clothes, which was much needed.

Here's a photo from the end of the week last week -- at the Tennessean we like to work hard and play hard.
Photo: Paige has been replaced by a new mustache'd worker
(I'd explain the mustache but it might take too long!)


1 comment:

  1. Paige,

    I was immediately surprised to hear that in Nashville you actually stayed with Tony your reporter. That's awesome how you got the opportunity to form a close relationship with someone in and out of work. Also, your advisor Jessica sounds awesome! It's nice how you describe how she gives you freedom and the ability to come up with things on your own-- as an internship usually involves listening to what other people say, you have changed the rules! I hope you have a great next couple weeks!

    Maddie Fasel

    ReplyDelete