Friday, June 13, 2014

Week 2: Getting to Know Your Colleagues


The good part about my internship is I really only work with three other people. Even though Richard is my employer I also do a lot of work for Marisa Iallonardo, Manager of Public Relations and External Communications, and Julia Moran, Community Relations Coordinator. They are both very young women who have had experience in this field but only began at Burke in the course of the month of March.
            In many ways they are mentors to me because there only about a 10 years age difference between us but they both seem to have found the direction they are interested graduating with a Communication Studies major. At the moment, I believe that is what I am interested in, but it is such a broad field that I am worried I will get lost and not stay focused on what I am interested in.
However, I have yet to figure out what I am interested in. That is why I pursued an internship in Marketing. It has always been something that I thought I could be good at. On the other hand, my employer has his Ph.D. in Health Administration, which is how he was lead to his position at Burke.
There is almost a chain of mentoring in the Marketing Department here at Burke. Richard mentors Marisa and Julia, because they are still relatively new to this facility, and they mentor me. In addition, Richard has given me great guidance and an abundance of opportunities to explore what are my actual interests.  

No comments:

Post a Comment