Friday, June 20, 2014

over coming obstacles

So far, I would say the biggest obstacle I've had to overcome in my internship at ICM partners is the location of my desk.  As silly as this may sound, it has had a large impact on my experience.  I am located on the 3rd floor in a back room with 10 other interns.  At first, I really liked working in this room because it allowed me to bond with my co-workers.  However, my mentors and supervisors all work on the fourth floor; most of them did not even know our little intern room existed!!  Because of this, people rarely come looking for me.  Although being a talent agent is a very hands on, personal interaction type job, at the intern level is not.  I spend most of my days reading and for a few days, I became upset that I was not more involved in the company, that people did not really speak to me.  In order to over come this obstacle, I started going upstairs and speaking to the agents and assistants.  I found it very intimidating at first because everyone is always so hard at work I did not want to bother them.  But I finally found my comfort zone and realized that the best way to learn from people is to just pull up a chair and shadow them for a morning!

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca,

    I completely understand your situation! The location of where you sit in the office is very important and can dramatically affect your experience. Last summer, I was shoved into a room with 12 other interns and had difficulty being recognized by my mentor and other employees. My advice is to not be shy to walk up to an agent and ask if they have any projects you can assist them on! Sounds like you are on the right track and are figuring out how to overcome your obstacle! Good luck with the rest of your internship:)

    ReplyDelete