Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Blog #3: Overcoming Obstacles: Maddie Fasel

Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH Magazine: Maddie Fasel

As I am approaching (somewhat) of the midway of my internship I have realized how much I have improved on, as well as learned, from this experience. As the prompt states, I asked various of my editorial staff for feedback on my performance. All responded with positive answers in which made me happy that they were excited with my work!

Now that I am midway into my internship, there has been a few other colleagues that have joined in on becoming editorial interns as well. I like to say that I got a little "head-start" starting back in May because now I am able to answer there questions and help with things I didn't know towards the beginning either. All the tasks I have handled fall in the category of: fact-checking, finding high-resolution pictures, writing excerpts, social media writing (facebook, twitter, etc.), interviews, etc. The interns here at Chicago Sun-Times SPLASH Magazine really get a hands on experience with dealing with the same thing our mentors do-- that being said, they trust the interns word and language a lot which is really cool!

I face many challenges that run in the category of time-restrains and getting in contact with various people I need answers from. As I have stated in my latest blogs, because SPLASH is a magazine, that means that the time it takes to make everything both digital and paper-copy is always in a rush. I only intern on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, but often find myself working and finishing up tasks on the days I have off. To continue, it's nice for me to tell the new interns these challenges because they will be able to fix them as they run into them. Overall, there has not been as many obstacles as I thought I would have faced here at SPLASH for what I think the reason is because everyone is genuinely excited and happy to help out! I'm glad I am in an environment I feel so comfortable in!

Check out my latest publication!: http://splash.suntimes.com/2014/06/20/friends-of-prentices-annual-benefit/



1 comment:

  1. You are a diligent intern! I don't really have too much work outside of my internship, so I really applaud you for being proactive. Have you been enjoying the city outside of your internship?

    ReplyDelete