Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Annie Sabo's First Week at The Big Ten Network: Work Hard Play Hard



Perfection.  This word best describes my first week of work as a production intern for The Big Ten Network in downtown Chicago.  


My view as I enter work every day.


It's 9:30am on a beautiful sunny day as I wait for the train that will officially deliver me to my journey at The Big Ten Network.  Upon arriving to work, I meet my boss and proceed to follow him on my first official tour of the office, where I will be spending my entire summer.  While on the tour, one room soon becomes my favorite, the Big Ten Network Studio.  Here lies all of my hopes and dreams in becoming an on-air sports reporter.  The studio is stunning, and I can't wait to return to this space once again. 



Me sitting in studio!




Moving out of the studio, I am introduced to several of my co-workers in the production department. Everyone is very nice, well dressed, and the department as a whole is racially diverse. I start my first task of the day, logging footage for features that will soon air on the Big Ten Network itself.  This task consists of writing down parts of the entire interview so it will be easier to edit in the future.  



I spend Tuesday through Thursday attending production meetings in addition to viewing my first Big Ten Network television show in the studio.  I was surprised how well I was treated right away, as an intern, and how friendly everyone in my assigned department was.



 Friday was a memorable day.  Friday marked the first company picnic of the summer.  This picnic wasn't really a picnic, however, it was a day filled with activity.  All employees were split into teams and participated in "friendly" athletic competition all day.  As the day was wrapping up, my team was tied for the lead, which meant only one thing...a relay race through an inflatable obstacle course.  Specifically, it came down to the wire in the form of a 4 v. 4 relay race, I took the 3 spot.  It wasn't looking good for us, as we fell behind early on, until I made up some great time and propelled our team to victory!  By the end of the day, every employee knew the name Annie Sabo.



...and the Royal Blue Team Wins! 


It was an unforgettable start to an unforgettable summer in Chicago. 






2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie! As a news intern at NBC this summer, your first week sounds a lot like how my first week went! Video logging and attending production meetings were two of the major tasks I did too. What other daily tasks are you assigned? The picnic sounds like fun, and a great way to get to know employees in a more laid-back setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Natalie, Sounds awesome! I also worked on features that would go on the shows and sat in on edits!

      Delete