Saturday, June 7, 2014

Week 1 on TheStreet

My first week at TheStreet was hectic. I was disappointed that my first tasks were mainly filing and photo copying documents. Of course, you can't be the boss on the first day, but I hope I get more mentally stimulating work down the road. Many of the other interns are older than I am so it makes sense that they get to do more interesting work.

I have met many people who can help me in my career. For example, I met Bob O'Brien, a writer for The Deal, a publication that covers mergers and acquisitions. We chatted about Big Ten football (he is a Northwestern grad) and discussed which career fields are most attractive today, and which were when he was in college.

Overall, I have found that people are happy to be working at TheStreet but I don't think any employee wants to stay there for their entire career. I want to feed off some of the positive energy of the other employees and try and work with that kind of enthusiasm. I believe if I apply myself to my menial tasks early on, more responsibility will be handed to me. I also hope I can meet more employees and gain some knowledge from them. I'm still optimistic about this job!

1 comment:

  1. My first week at Winger I was mainly filing and photo copying documents as well. It really sucked, but it sounds like you still have a good attitude and are optimistic that the tasks will get better! I plan on talking to my supervisor next week if I continue to do these menial tasks.

    ReplyDelete